Tuesday, October 11, 2022 / by Amy Brown
Hands down the most walkable areas of Asheville are located on the north and east sides. These are the oldest parts of the city and were designed with foot and bike traffic in mind since that was the main mode of transportation in the 1920s.
Neighborhood list and other notable features:
1. Montford - free Shakespeare in the park productions every summer, lots of cafes and restaurants right in the neighborhood, Halloween block party every year
2. Lakeview Park - private lake with non-motorized boat storage for homeowners along with a nature trail and bird sanctuary, also location of the Asheville Country Club and golf course
3. Norwood Park - convenient to Merrimon Ave. restaurants and shops, Weaver Park, and the university
4. Kenilworth - neighborhood lake and park, right on the fringes of downtown, convenient to the hospital
5. Oakley - large park with sports fields, local library, location of numerous brew pubs, walkable to Biltmore Village
Take a look at my Asheville neighborhood guide below for more information on these and other neighborhoods in the area as well as a map and descriptions on the vibe and architecture to be found there.