The process of buying a home can be exciting, complicated, and a bit scary. A home is usually a person’s biggest investment, and the process of choosing the right one—then packing up and moving—can be overwhelming and exhilarating at the same time.
There are many thoughts that go through a person’s head when they’re shopping for real estate. Some of the things we think about are price, location, and the effect that moving will have on our lives, our careers, and our children’s well-being.
But along with these considerations come other less-than-honest thoughts, known as lies…lies we tell ourselves in order to feel better. There is, of course, nothing wrong with this since nearly everybody does it, so if you’ve been lying to yourself during your real estate transaction, don’t feel bad!
Here are eight lies we like to tell ourselves when we’re shopping for real estate:
1. I’m going to stick to my price range
I know it’s 20k more than I planned to spend, but it’s perfect.
2. It doesn’t bother me that they didn’t accept the offer
Good, I didn’t want it anyway. I don’t care about that gorgeous entryway, or that breathtaking view. Doesn’t bother me at all…
3. I’m fine with whatever my partner decides
Sure Matt, let’s buy a 3,000 square foot man-cave. I support you. Great idea!
4. I’m not going to compare these houses to the multi-million dollar ones
I swear I haven’t been up until 2 in the morning looking at million dollar mansions.
5. Having to do a bunch of renovations doesn’t sound so bad
Sure, let me just whip out my tool belt and get to work.
6. The house will still be available in a few days
There’s no way someone will make an offer before I get a chance to… aaaaand it’s gone.
7. I’m going to be patient about this whole process
I’m not in a rush… I don’t have to move… Definitely gonna take my time looking… Y’know what, I don’t want to be looking at houses forever, let’s just put an offer in on this house.
8. I don’t need an agent to help me
I can figure everything out on my own. There’s no need for an experienced professional who knows how everything works to help me…
In the end, this is what it boils down to…You need an expert! I’m here for you!
You work with an agent for 3 reasons:
1. They know the nuances of the process, can easily navigate all of the crazy scenarios that people try to throw at you during negotiations (like oops, I just signed a 5 year lease for someone to rent out my basement…yeah, ok), and…if something goes sideways, I CAN GET YOU OUT OF A JAM.
2. You have some things that you would like to change…let me pull out my Rolodex. I have tradespeople that will do things for me in a hurry that they won’t do for the regular consumer. Why? Because I refer business to them and they make money off of my referrals, plain and simple. They are in the business of taking care of me and my clients in the timeframe that I need it…not in 6 months and for a better price.
3. Because I handle all of the logistics, paperwork, and headaches that you don’t want nor do you have time to deal with. I let you get on with your life while I take care of the 10 phone calls a day back and forth to the other agent, the attorney, the lender, the inspector, and the contractor. I make sure that each element is delivered by deadline so that you don’t incur monetary penalties. And I make sure that your appointments are scheduled, reports are completed, and negotiations are managed fairly and aggressively. This is my FULL-TIME JOB and it takes FULL-TIME HOURS PLUS to get this across the finish line.